Dog Poisoning, Preparing For An Emergency

This week has been National Poison Prevention Week.  There is a lot of information going around listing items that are poisonous to dogs.  In this article I want to let you know the 5 most common types of dog poisons, what you can do to be prepared and what to do in case your dog does get into something they shouldn’t.

The most common types of dog poisons include:

1.       MEDICATIONS (human and pet)

2.       INSECTICIDES (mouse bait, bug spray for indoors and outdoors, your dogs’ own flea and tick preventatives, etc.)

3.       FOOD (chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, grapes, onion, macadamia nuts & many more)

4.       HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS (cleaning supplies, washer pods, antifreeze, pool chemicals, etc.)

5.       PLANTS (daffodils, azaleas, mushrooms, tulips, sago palms, etc.)

 

To be prepared for any potential poisonings:

1.       The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center offers a free mobile app with tons of information on what is toxic to your dog. It’s great to have in your phone before you buy a plant or give your dog a piece of food, to make sure they’re safe.  It’s also good to identify if a strange substance your dog has gotten into is toxic.  The same info is also available on their website.  

2.       Putting your vets’ phone number, the emergency vet phone number, and the Animal Poison Control Center phone number (888) 426-4435 in your phone now, can save time in case your dog does get in trouble. Be aware however, that there is a fee for the Animal Poison Control Center service of approx. $60.

3.       Keep an unexpired bottle of hydrogen peroxide and an oral medicine syringe (such as those used to give children liquid medications) in your pets’ first aid kit.  If the vet tells you to make the dog vomit, you may use these.  Do NOT do this unless a veterinarian tells you to!

4.       Know where your local after hours / emergency vet is located so that you’re not trying to figure it out in an emergency.

 

If your dog has gotten into something, act quickly:

1.       Remove the substance from your dog’s reach

2.       Call your vet or poison control number with

  • the name of what your pet got into
  • how much they consumed
  • your pet’s weight 
  • what symptoms they’re showing if any (Some poisons take time before they show symptoms, do NOT wait to call)

3.       If they send you to the vet, take any unconsumed substance & container and a vomit sample if your dog has vomited.

 

We work hard to keep our pets safe, however accidents happen to even the most vigilant. Being educated and prepared could save your best friend’s life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *